Pennsylvania Limestone Farmhouse Renovations to an 1863 farmhouse built of limestone

February 26, 2011

Dust, Dust, and More DUST!!!!!

Filed under: Basement,Interior,kitchen,Masonry — Duane Diefenbach @ 6:44 pm

Did I mention it’s dusty around here?  Sorry for no recent posts but it has been a busy month. Since the last post (Feb 7th!) a lot has happened – Lisa’s stove was delivered and the propane gas was installed, the mason started on making the doorway to the basement a window again, and I have made some progress on the kitchen cabinets (but not as much as I would have liked – but a trip to Oklahoma did crimp my spare time). I’ll get to the dust story eventually.

First, THE Stove. It arrived the 16th of this month and the propane guys arrived on the 17th to install the gas line and hook up the stove.  Too bad they showed up 2 hrs late and basically made me miss a whole day at the office… but the stove works great (and looks great). It has 2 ovens (full size and a smaller warming or cooking oven), 6 burners (including a simmer burner), and a griddle. The side benefit is that Lisa is motivated to cook!  My mistake was to leave 3 days later for a meeting in Oklahoma.

Since the stove was installed we have completed “the move” from the old kitchen to the new kitchen even though the new kitchen in incomplete.  As in interim step some of the old cabinets and countertop have moved into the new kitchen so that Lisa has sufficient counter space.  Just so everyone knows, noone took us up on our offer for naming rights on a burner (see this post http://setterrunfarm.com/blog/?p=77 from January 29, 2010)

Also, Dave (the mason) completed the window that used to be the doorway from the old kitchen into our dining room. The stone work turned out beautiful and he was able make it look like it was always a window. One view is from the dining room (left) and the other is from the old kitchen (right)

So on the 19th (the Saturday before I left for OK) Ethan and I had to deconstruct around the doorway to the basement so that Dave could start work on making the door a window. However, before that we had make a new path to the basement, which consisted of removing the bookcase in the living room, opening up the original stairway to the basement, and fixing the stairs so they were useable again. What follows are a series of photos of our efforts.

We think the leather couch nicely accentuates the basement stairs (and provide a nice safety railing – fyi, this house is not child safe at this time).

So now that we can walk into the basement just as they did 150 years ago. Ethan and I next began deconstructing the doorway to the basement. This involved a lot of sledgehammering and sawzalling.

What a mess.  Plus when we bought the house 10 years ago Lisa and I poured a lot of concrete where the heating contractors punched out a bunch of stone (with no support!!!) to run ductwork. However, the mason had to do A LOT of  chiseling of the concrete so that he can re-face this area with stone.  This made MAJOR dust throughout the house and we will be dealing with the mess for weeks (months?). Here’s a close-up of the concrete and the area that needs to be filled with stone. You can see the concrete that Dave had to chisel away and the fact that the concrete completely supported 2 stories of stone above the chase that was cut out from underneath. Only idiots would do such a thing.

So to get ready for the coming week, Ethan and I hauled stones into the kitchen. We had saved these stones from the windows where we made doors to go from the stone house to the new addition. It takes a LOT of rock to fill those doorways.

February 7, 2011

Deconstruction

Filed under: Masonry,Stone house restoration — Duane Diefenbach @ 9:01 pm

Well, it’s February and we need to have the mason start on turning the doorways in the stone house back into windows (so we can remove the 1950s addition and restore the original front of the stone house. However, we’re completely unready for all this.  The kitchen has a sink, dishwasher but is lacking cabinets, countertops, drawers, etc.  We moved our electric range under the new range hood… next to my tool table.

Then Ethan and I began deconstructing. The series of photos tell it all.

By the time we were done we had discovered the kitchen has 3 layers of linoleum (good thing) because we had to cut out a major support beam for the floor so it sags more every day! This is what it looks like now.

Stay tuned as David Walker, the mason, rebuilds the stone work and we use a window from we took from the other part of the house and use it here.

Powered by WordPress