Pennsylvania Limestone Farmhouse Renovations to an 1863 farmhouse built of limestone

June 29, 2013

Moving Out

Filed under: Basement,Dining Room,Living room,Stone house restoration,Upstairs — Duane Diefenbach @ 8:37 pm

We spent today moving everything out of the old part of the house. Where to put it all? The barn really is not a good storage area because it is so damp.  So here is where things went: (a) the old classroom in the barn has become the TV room with air conditioning, (b) our neighbor has (had) an empty spare bedroom, (c) the attic, and (d) various places in the addition.

Right now I am sitting at my desk in our bedroom. The bathtub is full of antiques, and Molly and Lisa are watching TV and eating popcorn in the classroom with the dogs

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA   OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

The stone house is pretty much empty, full of echos, and ready for deconstruction.  In our old bedroom the paneling has to be removed, and the linoleum “rug” will have to go.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Pitching the rug was a somewhat difficult decision because it was installed about 1951 and underneath was lined with newspapers.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In fact, there was a March 18, 1951 funnies section from the Philadelphia Inquirer that looked like new!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

In Ethan’s old room we have to rip out the door frame to the old closet and make it smaller to accommodate the stairway ledge. Also the ceiling tiles will be removed and the particle board that covers the original pine flooring will be removed.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

Then we have a lot of 3/8″ sheetrock to remove and find out if the wall dividing his room from the hallway is original or was installed in 1950. I am not quite sure if the wall is original because the doorway trim is modern dimensional lumber, but maybe they just moved the door like they did in our old bedroom.  We shall see.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

Downstairs in our living room (that was partially restored about 5 years ago) we will be removing the stairs that were installed in 1950. This will make the room much bigger and restore access to a window that used to be the doorway to the basement from the kitchen, but it will take a lot of work to undo everything. Removing the stairs will involve restoring floor joists and flooring.  I am going to mill some leftover pine boards we took out of the attic (and used in our master bedroom) to fill the space in the living room.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

The dining room does not need much deconstruction, except to remove some lathe where the plaster failed.  I plan to replace the lathe with sheetrock and then plaster over to match the remaining plaster.  There will be a lot of plastering to do in the house so I bought an electric sander that has large sanding discs and can be hooked up to a vacuum to minimize dust.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

June 23, 2013

Good-bye to Wall-E

Filed under: Basement,Deconstruction,Stone house restoration — Duane Diefenbach @ 4:46 pm

Since we renovated the roof of the stone building, the heat for that part of the house has been the pellet stove in the basement. That means the bedroom upstairs got pretty cold in the winter.  And because most of the chimney was torn down, we  had a stainless steel vent that emerged out of the chimney about 3 feet aboveground.  The vent looked like Wall-E from the movie and looked ridiculous… but it’s now gone.

We have decided to install a geothermal heat pump in the old part of the house (when we did the renovation we drilled 2 sets of wells with the intention of later installing a heat pump for the old part of the house).  That means a lot will happen this summer.

Specifically:

1. Remove the pellet stove and all the 1950s ducting from the basement.

2. Move the basement shelving that stores paints and another shelving that stores Lisa’s canned goods so they are not in the way when the heat pump is installed.

3. Clean ALL the furniture out of the old part of the house. Which means where do we put it? And so…

4. Clean up the old classroom in the barn (when Lisa homeschooled the kids).

5. Remove the last vestiges of the chimney (and Wall-E) from the outside of the house.

6. Gut the rest of the interior of the old house. Such as tile ceilings, sheetrock over plaster, and the staircase added in the 1950s.

 

So to start the whole process, today we began with cleaning the old classroom in the barn and cleaning out the basement.

We then started in the basement by removing the woodstove.  We put it on a pallet, then slid it over to the bulkhead and attached a towing strap to the pallet and used the tractor to pull it up out of the basement.  The following photos show the sequence.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

And now the basement looks like this…

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I can’t seem to find a photo of Wall-E, probably because it was pretty ugly and I didn’t think of it until I had ripped it out of the ground. But you can see the old chimney in this photo (just to the left of the door – cast concrete sections with no liner – great 1950s technology!). All that is left now is a hole in the basement (the goes nowhere) and this outside.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

There is still cleaning to do in the basement, but it’s pretty much ready for the contractors.  Expect more posts in the next few weeks, especially when the old house gets completely gutted!  Exciting but dusty times ahead!

Powered by WordPress