Pennsylvania Limestone Farmhouse Renovations to an 1863 farmhouse built of limestone

July 1, 2012

Installing the Vanity

Filed under: Front door,Interior,mudroom — Duane Diefenbach @ 5:16 pm

I put a wipe-on polyurethan satin finish on the cabinet and the trim around the top of the sink. Next came the installation, which wasn’t all that bad (just 2 trips to the hardware store for the correct drain fittings).

I next worked on making a raised panel door. I thought it came out quite well and I had little trouble fitting the mortise and tenon joints.  And I have become much more proficient using hand planes and scrapers to clean up saw burn marks and level the wood where 2 joints come together.  Here’s a picture of the door with one coat of finish on the raised panel (I do that before assembling the door).

The only problem was that the opening of the cabinet is 27-5/8″ tall and I made the door 25-5/8″ tall…

If you need a cherry door that is 25-5/8″ x 18-1/4″ let me know, I will let it go cheap. Unfortunately it’s too tall for the kitchen cabinets (and they all need doors!).

Here’s the correct sized door with  the first coat of finish drying.

While waiting for the glue to cure after I assembled this door I cut a backsplash for the vanity. I simply used a piece of slate.

The other project on hold has been the front door (see the blog entry). I bought an entry lockset and 3 bronze hinges on Ebay, and ordered the interlocking weatherstripping. All should arrive this week. Here is what the lockset and hinges look like.

So our new door will have parts from the 1850s and 1880s, and wood from the 2010s, but I hope it all comes together.

April 16, 2012

Mudroom Progress

Filed under: Front door,mudroom — Duane Diefenbach @ 7:23 am

The past several weeks have focused on the mudroom – I installed the LAST floor in the house when I tiled this room. Overall this went quite well although my decision to minimize some tile cutting resulted in a threshold gap that accentuates what is not square. When you come and visit I’ll let you figure out where that occurred!

So now the mudroom has a tile floor and (almost) all the trim installed. Because there will eventually be some cabinets and counter one corner does not have baseboard installed. Also, the real front door has yet to be constructed so trim is lacking around the entry door (because that door is temporary).

Here as some pics of the mudroom

What I have left to do in this room is to 1) strip and paint the sliding doors to the  powder room and the laundry room, 2) construct and install doors for the closet, 3) construct and install the front door, and 4) completely finish the interior trim.

This weekend I spent most of my time constructing the front door. A couple of years ago I purchase the sidelites, transom, and door to a house constructed in Bald Eagle Valley in the mid-1800s. The glass in the sidelites and transom was original and very wavy but a couple of panes were broken. Fortunately, the house (in Beech Creek) where I bought the interior doors for our addition had a sash in the attic with the same glass.

The sidelites and transom lites were strangely cared for. They were painted with milk paint and coated with shellac (typical of the time period), but at some point someone reversed them in the entryway so that the shellac was facing out… Why?  The only reason I can figure is that they wanted the muntons to “greet” guests instead the the glass glazing? Completely opposite of any window ever made. Anyway, that meant the shellac turned black from the sun and mold. A real mess to clean up but the transom and sidelites are now stripped and primed.

I have accomplished most of the construction of the frame to hold the door, sidelites, and transom. Overall is it 8′ tall and 6-1/2′ wide. I have no idea how the original frame was constructed but had to construct one that will be solid and hold all the components correctly (e.g., the side panels and door cannot be wider than the transom).

Here is a photo of the frame with the transom and 1 sidelite and panel in place (temporarily). The bottom plate of the frame is made from red oak but the rest is white pine.

The main components are 2″ thickness to add stability around the door. the pieces join with either mortise and tenon or dovetail joints.

I made the 2-inch and 3/4-inch vertical pieces either side of the doorway because there has to be a 4-inch space between the door and side panels if the door is to be ~36″ wide. To cover that space I made some fluted trim to cover the gap, except on the interior side it is only about 3″ wide because of the 5/8″ x 1-3/4″ rabbet for the door jam.

I am thinking of making the door out of white oak instead of a painted pine door. That means I have to buy some 8/4 for the stiles and rails, but I have some quarter-sawn white oak I can use for the panels. Next up is sanding, assembling, and priming the door the frame.

Powered by WordPress