Pennsylvania Limestone Farmhouse Renovations to an 1863 farmhouse built of limestone

June 28, 2012

Front Door and Powder Room

Filed under: Front door,Interior — Duane Diefenbach @ 7:57 pm

Work on the door has not progressed very much partly because the lockset I ordered has been back-ordered for 2 months. I finally cancelled the order. I wanted to install a federal-style mortise lockset, which would have a simple brass knob and keyhole (oftentimes silvered) but I couldn’t find an antique one for a left-hand door.

I think we’re going to instead buy an antique Victorian style entry lockset that was made in the 1870s to 1880s. However, I need to install the lockset before I can install the bronze interlocking weather stripping. The weatherstripping will go around the sides and top of the door. On the bottom I will install EPDM (rubber) roofing material to act as a door sweep on the bottom of the door.  To do that I had to rout a dado in the bottom of the door.

The photo below shows the multiple mistakes I made with the router and had to patch in pieces with epoxy and try again. I am now pretty good at fixing these types of mistakes.

Below is a photo of the door showing the jig I had to make to support the router when cutting the dado in the bottom of the door. Also, there is a close-up of the joints and dowels holding the tenons in place. I used epoxy to glue everything together. This door is going to be REALLY heavy (like 150 lbs!).

So, once this door has a lock installed then I can get the door frame (which will include the transom, sidelites, and panels) installed in the house. Right now this is what the door frame looks like.

In the meantime, I am working on the vanity for the powder room just off the mudroom. This room has had a function toilet for a number of months but no sink.  The solution is on its way.  The design will be a cherry cabinet that supports an undermount sink on a slate top.  Here’s the cabinet:

The vanity top was constructed by first using 5/8″ plywood base with the oval cut out to allow the sink to fit. Then I fit cherry trim that will serve as edging and enclose the slate top. I glued the slate to the plywood using construction adhesive and marine epoxy to fill the gap between the slate and the cherry edging. I used a carbide-bit in a jigsaw to cut the oval for the sink and carbide-tipped hole saws to cut the openings for the faucet. Regular hole saws finished the cuts through the plywood.

Here’s a photo of the slate installed and epoxy hardening:

After the epoxy hardened overnight I then sanded everything smooth and used a 3/8″ roundover bit to round the cherry edging. I am now working on finishing the cabinet and top. Here’s the top ready for a finish on the cherry (the slate just gets mineral oil):

The next post should have the finished vanity and the installation – except I still need to make the door for the cabinet. It should be pretty easy except for accomodating the baseboard trim (not much space to work in the powder room).

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

Powered by WordPress